Sunday, 16 March 2014

1st Proper Post Eeeeeee - Self Consciousness

Hello World!

I'm sure you can tell by the title of this post, I am very excited to be writing! 
I have decided to jump straight into the deep end and talk to you about what it means to be self conscious - which is very easy in today's society. 

Me, I'm a very anxious, self conscious person. 
I suffer from very bad eczema, and it reaaaaally bothers me. I mean, in the winter when I'm all wrapped up in jumpers and jeans and hoodies my skin is clear as anything.
But I look out of my bedroom window now and the sun is shining and my arms and legs are covered in eczema and scars. 
I get insanely jealous of other girls who walk round effortlessly with clear, beautiful skin and I want to be them. 

If you don't know what eczema is, it's a medical skin condition where patches of skin become itchy and inflamed, and breakouts can cause blistering and bleeding.
It happens to me a lot, especially when it's hot in the air, or there is high pollen. And it's a pain in the ass to say the least.
I feel so self conscious that most of the time, whilst other girls are rocking shorts and cute crop tops, I'm swaddled in a jumper and jeans barely even daring to show my wrists.
Sometimes it's so bad I cry. I really do. It's an awful feeling looking in the mirror and not liking what you see.
Once, it happened at school. I looked in the mirror and despaired at the red and flaking skin on my face and neck and just locked myself in the cubicle all lunch and break waiting for the moment to come when I could get home and sit in my room. 
I would hate to think of anyone else going through this. 

Well, I certainly haven't worked out the cure for eczema yet, but I have discovered the key to happiness at the moment. 
Confidence. 
It's very easy to wrap your skin away as I do, or cover up your imperfections. 
But there is nothing more beautiful in my eyes than someone who confidently accepts their flaws and thinks, 'Hey why not?' 
If you're scared that people will judge you or tease you (as I am all the time), don't be. 
Easier said than done, right? But face the day with a warrior attitude. 
So what if you have imperfections, don't let them get you down! 
Feel comfortable in your own skin! 
Wear something that makes you feel awesome! 


Gosh, I feel enthralled writing this ahaha!

________________________________________________________

Do you suffer from eczema like me? 
Here are some tricks of the trade to help you minimize the flare-ups:

1) Minimise your make up routine to let your skin breathe. I solely use a pressed powder, lipgloss and mascara. 
2) Turn down the heat! Take a colder shower and use a lighter duvet to prevent getting over hot and inflaming your skin. 
3) Apply lots of moisturizer. I'd recommend an organic, perfume free one like Lush Dream Cream. 
4) Don't use perfume. No perfumed shower gels or deodorants, just anti-persperent, fragrance free ones. 
5) Drink lots of water to hydrate your skin. 
 6) Use gloves or socks (clean ones ahaha) in bed to act as a scratch mit barrier to itchiness! 



3 comments:

  1. Heya! Interesting post. I too suffer from eczema, and I have done since birth. I'm nearly 19 now so I'll shortly be having to pay for all my prescription drugs, which sucks. If you don't already, I thoroughly recommend Oilatum Shower Gel or Bath formula. You can get that off the shelf from Boots or Superdrug.
    My eczema is a result of my intolerance to lactose, but hot weather can set it off too, as I notice it's usually worse in the summer.
    My doctor told me to stick to wearing pure cotton, and avoiding man-made fabrics, and wool. Wool is the bane of my existence in Winter and it sucks because a lot of the really nice jumpers and cardigans in winter are woolen.
    Anyway, nice post, and I hope you keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks so much for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Argh! I know eczema is literally the bane of my life! Although, I've just began to get a hold on it these last few weeks and am starting to deal with a few of the scars so it's less visible which is encouraging :)
      Yes, me too, I am very worried about having to pay for prescriptions! I think its absurd! But yes, I've tried Oilatum in the shower and it works a dream!
      If you're looking for good, pure cotton clothes, I tend to look in Urban Outfitters (as a lot of their clothes are natural and good quality, despite the expense) and Fat Face too.
      I intend to be posting a lot more often now my exams have finished!
      I'll be sure to check out your blog!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete